That pure Cane Spirit since 1848.

Thursday, August 28, 2008



Just had a call from Mater. I was expecting it; they have a quality much prized by secret intelligence services around the world. They can pick up the slightest nuance, careless word, pause, anything and then focus on it with forensic ruthlessness using every lever in the toolbox to get IT out of you. It’s intrusive telepathy like in that film The Village of the Damned.


Hi mum,


Achilles, it’s your mother


Yeah I know, it tells me before I answer


How is everyone?


Fine thanks


How are you? How was your day? Still busy?


Well not so much…


Still having to work away overnight?


It’s tailing off now, we…


And what about within yourself?


What?


How are you, within yourself?


Is everything all right mum?


I am perfectly fine, it’s you I’m worried about.


Why are you worried about me?


How did you get on last Saturday at the dockyard?


It was fucking awful


That, is a terrible way to speak to your mother. Anyone could be listening.


Everyone’s out.


Someone could be listening at the exchange.


Really? I don't think so.


Hmmm


What. What is it?


Something’s different.


I’ve got to go mum there’s someone at the door.


Please keep in touch.


Right-mum-bye.




That was close.


No comments: